Monday, July 7, 2008

Coming to Terms with the Fact That I Watch Reality TV

Sorry it has been such a long time since I have written anything. A lot has happened, but I'm sorry I do not have time to fill you in on everything.

I am slowly admitting that I like reality television. It's a big deal because I find much of TV to be mindless entertainment, but when Tila Tequila or America's Next Top Model appear on my monitor I am taken in and held there, in focus, until the episode is complete. And I think I know why, which adds a little bit to my justification of being able to consider myself an intellectual while still being interest in a pseudo-bisexual's far-fetched love lives (yes, she has love lives).

My justification, I am a psychology major. Now hear me out, I think I am fascinated by the psychological phenomenon of "falling into roles." Clearly, it is not common for one female to "fall in love" with ten to twenty people at one time, for them to "fall in love" with her, and for her to date them all simultaneously. However, I do think that it is legitimate because of that psychological theory. I'm not really going to go into the details as I'm sure you'd click the "X" on the browser at the top of the window at the definition, but I'm just throwing it out there.

So that's my reasoning. Does it explain entirely why I watch the shows? Maybe. But we'll just leave it at that.

One of my favorite TV shows (the only one that I actually follow; I usually just catch others when I see them) is So You Think You Can Dance. Last week, my favorite couple was voted off! Really, America? Really?! Kourtni and Matt were awesome, and I tried to vote, but the three or four times I called the lines were busy. Sadness!

I will leave you with one of my favorite performances by them. And hopefully I'll write on here more regularly, like tomorrow.

The video has introduction and stuff, so fast forward if you don't want to watch that part.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY!